Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Year show @ Anchor's Up

I know it's like almost a week late, but I have to do this. I ate the shit, and forgot to do a review for this show. The whole premise of this show was that I had to go, no matter what. I managed to get there, in a snowstorm, right from work. I love hardcore, haha.

Naysayer. They opened the show. Awesome seeing this band every time, they get better and better. They are like a type of what i'd call a NYHC styled band with some weird but awesome vocals. I may be totally wrong, but the vocals always make me think of Obituary. Not because he sounds like the dude from Obituary but for some weird reason I think of Obituary in the "World Demise" era. I was hoping them to cover Madball, which they didn't but they still played an awesome set. And very humble kids.

Forfeit. One of the reasons I really wanted to go to this show big time. I love Forfeit. They played a set that was a lot of the newer stuff which I am not familiar due to me only having the first 7". I wanted to buy the new stuff, but I don't have a record player, and they didn't have it on CD. Only thing, Ben has to keep timing a lil' better. The Merauder-esque song they played...FUCKING AWESOME.

Cruel Hand. Like three weeks ago, my band played a show with Cruel Hand. I remember seeing them all the time before the "Prying Hands" came out, even before the first full length. It was awesome. Since then they have become more metal, but in an awesome way. They had an amazing set at that show we played, but it wasn't really a hardcore show. I knew this band had gotten big. I didn't know they were this big. Still, I think they deserve the hype. The only thing I didn't like about their set was that the vocals were too loud, and the music rather quiet for even the venue it was.

Down To Nothing. I mean. I had been waiting to see them for like 2 years now. Last time they came around was in the Earth Crisis tour, and I didn't go to that one. The first MA show DTN played and I didn't go. Their set was amazing, super psyched to be there all the kids were going bezerk including myself that came out of mosh retirement only for the night. They played a lot of the songs I was expecting them too. They even played one out of the 50 Lions split. So it was a very solid set. Almost a week later, still happy.

Trapped Under Ice. I keep hearing about this band. I remember my old roomate Tyler being in love with this band and playing them out of his record player non-stop. I don't remember much of the sound. Reminded me of like another band like Guns Up! but better. I liked Guns Up! so I liked this better. That being said, me and my former roomate don't like together anymore so I don't listen to this band anymore, the fact is that I don't remember how they were like, apart from what I remember saying about them. So I was ready to give them another listen. I mean, they were good, but I got bored in their set. Maybe is because I was too happy to just have seen DTN, one of my favorite bands, and then seeing a band that I really don't know after them. I am just going to give them more tries, because W-lo told me they were good, and I usually agree with him when it comes to music. For now, I'll give them a C.

1 comment:

Willo C. said...

Boooyah!

I missed that tour big time, fuck my work, just sayin'...

Naysayer. Nay-say-yer. Damn. Boombastic killah fantastic. You're right, John Tardy (Obituary) voice-type mixed with a wierd NYHC-influenced sound, and like you said inna AWESOME way; don't know the reason, but they also have a song called "World's Demise". Love their rhythms changes, like "Soul Searching" and "Piece Of Mind", uuuufff.

I liked Forfeit set @BNB Bowl'09, was cool bands like them and Backtrack playin' @BNB Bowls and knowin' BNB supports them. I was so pumped, and still happy, hahaha. Heard 2 new jams, dope.

I don't follow Cruel Hand, just for being lazy, because I liked their myspace tracks, that happens sometimes.

For some reason I don't follow DTN, even when I liked their Puerto Rico show, their vibe was like spiritual (like see John Joseph doing those hare-krishna moves on stage); anyways, you told me, so I will do it right.

Well, with Trapped Under Ice, I don't know, I like the band, a lot, but their sound changed in "Secrets Of The World" LP, and not for bad, the new songs are more ala Madball-influenced -but in T.U.I. way. My favorite record is the "Demo 2007", all the songs are dope, and love the Crown Of Thornz vibe on it. Try the demo first, then "Stay Cold" 7", and for last "Secrets Of The World".

Happy you had a blast there, do it again next show w/ Machine Head's hxc sons...

P.S.- fuck those who rejected my vac request.