Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Great Day For Music

Today was one of those days, that I just woke up and I had like a feeling I wanted to listen to music, whatever type of music. I just want to discover new stuff, learn some history about it, and also come up with musical ideas, since i am a musician.

I went to my lastfm account, and one of those things I love to do is to just go to a certain artist I like, and just play it's "radio station" to see what comes up. I remember some months back, maybe it even was last year, I came across Leadbelly. Like this type of really early Blues artist, and his biography said the dude spent most of his life in and out of jail. In my opinion, that's pretty fucking hardcore. Straight up hardass, and being a black dude, in the early 1900s wasn't an easy task, so this dude was legit hard. Anyway, I listened to his music again, and got stoked up again on that genre, the old folk, country, blues type deal, which is actually one of my favorite music genres.

Then the relationship of the black people from south, to a lot of these artists, made me decide to check one of the stations of one of the latino's greatest Tito Puente's station. If you are into music, of any kind, and you don't know who Tito Puente is, you pretty much can call it quits. Anyway, I rediscovered a lot of artists I knew about, and even found about some I didn't know, and some I only heard of. And as much as I like old country blues folk, or whatever you wanna call it, Salsa, and latin jazz are just better (at least in my opinion).

This lead me to check out some of the stuff that some of my teachers in school (college) always told me to check. Well, i started with the obvious, John Coltrane. So that led me to re-encounter the name of Miles Davis, one of the most influential jazz music composers-slash-performers. Finally got a chance to listen clearly (not a bad college-ensemble-performance ) of music by Duke Ellington, and got introduced to Thelonius Monk. And that part of the day ruled.

It was already afternoon, and I needed some food, so I went out to eat. After, I met up with couple of my friends, and I wanted to get the new Madball record that came out Tuesday, so we went to the record store. I got the Madball record... looked around, and decided I wanted to get records for a lot of the artists I was listening to earlier, and even trying to find some cheap stuff, just to expand my music library.

These are the things I ended up with:
Madball - "Empire" (will be reviewing it soon)
Miles Davis - "Kind Of Blue"
Sade - "Promise"
Oasis - "Be Here Now"
Leadbelly - "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"
Belle And Sebastian - "Write About Love"

All I have to say is that I am really happy about what I got. It feels like going to History class, but for music.

I love music, that's all I can say.

No comments: