Sunday, April 12, 2009

THE EFFORT, OUTRAGE, BRAINDEAD, LATE NITE WARS, MAINTAIN, ALL STAR ME, ROADRAGE @ URI

Another weekend, another show. This time it was at URI, in the middle of nowhere, Rhode Island. I really don't know how got there, even though it was pretty easy top get there, but this place was literally like in the woods or something. Anyway, because of the lineup, this show was more of a MVHC show than a RIX show. I mean, apart from The Effort, and that band Braindead, it was a Mass show. Even most of the people I remember seeing there were from MA.

Although, I have to admit, this was a special show. The night before this show, Michael, the younger brother for the bassist from my band xBillx passed away. Personally I wouldn't have played the show. But I know xBillx wanted, because hardcore is pretty much everything that takes him away from a lot of shitty stuff in life. I don't blame him. In January '08 we played a show, and I found minutes before we went on, that my grandfather passed away. So I gave my all, and let my rage on that drumset that night, I know somewhere he was watching me, so I played my best for him.

Roadrage:
Well, I was on my way to the show, because of work schedule, while they played, so I pretty much missed their set. I hope they played well. I know Briggs played with them, even though he arrived from Seattle that morning from being on tour with Have Heart. Anyway, this band grows on me everyday. I can't wait for the May 7th show (I think they are playing, if not, to the next time I see them).

All Star Me:
I got to the show right like in the middle of their set. To my surprise and amusement, they were covering Carousel by Blink-182. Actually, that is my favorite Blink song, so I wanted to go nuts and sing it, but everyone was doing the stand still dance, and it was sort of awkward, so I didn't do it. I don't really know their songs, but they play pretty well. But it doesn't matter what people say, in my opinion, they are not in the "vein of Saves the Day". Even because of them being names after an alright Saves The Day song.

Maintain:
We played a very emotional set, because of the before mentioned situation. We kept it short. But I thought we played alright. We did cover Unbroken, because we know how xBillx loves Unbroken, so we played it, so he could let it all out.

Late Nite Wars:
This band, at first, I hated them. Not last night, but before, I mean. They are another band from the MVHC area that is starting to grow on me. Even though they dont play like them that much, it reminds me for some reason to Taking Back Sunday in the "Tell All Your Friends" era. They played a real tight set. And that dude that was supposed to leave the band to be in The Real World, is still around, so I don't know what happened. He may have been kicked out of it or something.

Braindead:
I stayed out the door for them, because I was a little tired. But I did listen to them. They were sort of heavy. I think they were from Pennsylvania. I mean, I listened to it as background music, and stuff. But it wasn't that bad from what I can recall. I am not going to say, they were bad or awesome, because I really didn't see them play, so that's about it.

Outrage:
Right before they played, Jordan from The Effort (he also booked the show), gave a speech. It was a very good speech, actually better than all of The Effort's speeches I have ever heard combined. Anyway, it was about vegetarianism, gay rights, religion, and about his family (who were in attendance). The he sang No Spiritual Surrender by Inside Out. I went crazy, found out I am very out of shape, so I went to the little room next door and took a breath. Outrage played awesome. I like that band, but for some reason, I can't see them play live. I go to their shows, and I always stay outside the door when they play. I just like listen to them. Not even look at the stage. They are intense, and in Checkers' words "Ignorant awesome metalcore."

The Effort:
I love the dudes. Hate the band. So that's my review for them.

No comments: